Cave Hill Marble and Limestone Quarry was officially opened on March 26, 1878 by Melbourne businessman, stonemason and farmer David Mitchell. For the next 124 years the business was operated by his descendants. As well as quarrying and processing limestone, Cave Hill Farm was established. On the site over the years was a dairy, butter factory, cheese factory, bacon curing plant and soap making plant.
In 2002 the Mitchell family sold to Unimin Australia later Sibelco who operated the lime works until 2015. After its closure the 167ha property was purchased by property developers in 2017 and re-named Kinley Estate. Construction of the new residential estate started in June 2019 and will provide 3,000 to 4,000 homes for up to 9,000 people.
To order any images, please note the image number/s and go to our image order form.
To visit our other image galleries scroll to the foot of these images.