The land to the south of John Street was known as The Back Paddock to the kids and families of John Street. The paddock purchased by John Hutchinson on May 31, 1860, backed on the homes along John Street and stretched southwards to the Three Chain Road (now Melba Avenue).
The land was bounded by the Olinda Creek to the east and to enhance drainage and improve crop production, channels were constructed to carry water and drainage across the paddock. The main one crossed the paddock and Hutchinson street at the back of the John Street homes and continued to William Street along to Main Street and under the railway west of the railway crossing. This was a constant worry as during heavy rainfall it caused numerous floods in the lower end of Lilydale.
At other times, the drain was the place where eels and fish were caught and rabbits hunted for food and skins.
However, like so much of Lilydale in the 1960s, the land became an industrial site, the home firstly Turner Industries and then Nylex-Olex Cables. While John Street was transformed from residential to commercial, the Back Paddock was transformed from farming to industry and then commercial in the 1980s. The new Market Place Shopping Centre is testimony of the confidence large retailers have in the future of Lilydale.