The society has an extensive collection of material available to the community. These include:
- Extensive family and township files.
- Vast Melba files.
- Our Behind the Bench Library specialising in local and family histories.
- Photographic collection of more than 4000 photos
- Photographic collection of Jack Lundy-Clark.
Changing theme-based displays.
Microfilm copies of the Lilydale Express newspaper from 1886 to 1960.
- Bound copies of the Lilydale Express from 1961 to the present time.
- Microfilm copies of the Evelyn Observer 1882 to
Microfilm copies of the Lilydale Mail 1929.
- Digital copies of the Lilydale Express 1886 to
- Copy of the Lilydale Cemetery Burial Registers.
- Photographs of the headstones at Lilydale
Cemetery from 1864- 1931.
- Selection of births, deaths and marriages on microfiche.
- Lilydale RSL Minute books now indexed.
- World War I scrapbook of local newspaper articles now indexed.
- Microfilm reader and printer.
- Digital scanner.
- Digital camera.
Click here download our free online research.
See our Events
and Current Projects
The Society can arrange walks and tours with experienced historical society tour guides on the following topics of local interest:
- Main Street, Lilydale Walk - A walk along Main Street, exploring the development of the township from the early days of settlement.
- Lilydale Cemetery Walks -A tour of the cemetery, exploring the lives of Lilydale's early pioneers and some famous Australians.
- Castella Street, Lilydale Walk - (area known as Church Hill) A walk along Lilydale's original civic centre, exploring the early history of the township through some of Lilydale's oldest remaining buildings and historical sites.
- Members are available to speak on Dame Nellie Melba and Lilydale history at your venue.
Society volunteers are also available for school and group talks.
A Story of the Lilydale District
An illustrated presentation of the history of this district, from the early pioneers to the 1950s. The talk is accompanied by historical photographs which illustrate the development of the district and there is plenty of opportunities for group participation and questions.
Theme Based Presentations
Presentation can be made on a variety of local themes -
- Dame Nellie Melba: Australia's First Ambassador
- David Mitchell
If you or your group has a particular topic they would like the society
to talk about, please discuss it with our program co-ordinator Lorraine
Smith who can be contacted on the phone number below.
The society is currently digitising its extensive photographic collection. Copies from our collection can be viewed and ordered.
The costs are:
- 8" x 10" laser print copy $15.00 a print
- high res digital image emailed only $25.00 each.
We welcome donation of images or documents from families in the area. If required, we can scan the material so a digital image can be donated to our digital image collection. All donors will be required to complete the relevant donor forms.