For many years, the society has
conducted successful tours of the Lilydale Cemetery. Members have
produced booklets and provided a fascinating insight into the families
who called the Lilydale district home.
The society has drawn on its own extensive archives and the copy of the
Lilydale Burial Registered which the Lilydale Cemetery Trust - now part of the Greater Metropolitan Cemetery Trust (GMCT) - allowed us
to copy many years ago.
Stories Behind the Headstones is our extension of this work and is part
of our drive to allow the wider public to learn more about the families
and, where possible make their own contribution to the stories of their
This project generously funded by the Shire of
Yarra Ranges Grants for Community: Arts & Heritage Development,
lists alphabetically all the people buried at Lilydale Cemetery from its
establishment in 1861 through to 1931 who have headstones.
With each headstone we have included:
* an image of the headstone
* the interment information as listed in the Burial Register.
* the headstone's inscription
* links (if any), image details
* Biography, obituary and/or burial notices if available.
* references listing the source of the information so people can do their own further research.
job has not been to correct any inconsistences such as in spelling and
information but rather record it as it is so checks can be made later -
that is another project for the future. Often there were discrepancies
between what is recorded on the headstone and that of the Burial
Register but we have left both as recorded.
Where there have been
more interments than shown on the headstone, we have included all
interments as recorded in the Burial Register.
This project is still a
work in progress and will be completed shortly by which time the
stories behind the 400 plus headstones will be available on line.
Order Headstone Images Online
To Order Images:
To purchase high resolution images
- Go to the headstone you wish to buy.
- Note the name and the image No.
- Insert the name and image number in the order box below.
- To order several images, put a semi colon ; between each name and number.
- When your order is complete, click buy now.
- In the Paypal order box hold your cursor over the options text and check the names and image numbers are correct If ordering more than one image, change the quantity to the number of different images you have ordered.
- Then click update.
($25.00 each - JPEG 300dpi up to 1MB in size) enter the name of the image(s) you wish to purchase and click the buy now option below:
: If you order more than one image you will need to change the quantity of images to match once you reach the next screen.
It is impossible to thank all the volunteers who tirelessly researched each family using all the resources we had available to us. For the volunteers there was a bonus for them in that they learned more about the depth of material the society holds and gained new skills such as searching the internet, Trove and other on line collections.
There is one group we have to specially thank and that is the Victorian Genealogical Society who so kindly did a special digital copy of their Lilydale Cemetery microfich. Being searchable it made our task so much easier as the volunteers will attest to.
The society invites everyone who has additional information about or photographs of the families in our headstones project to please contact us and we will add that information to the appropriate family.
We can be contacted at: firstname.lastname@example.org or use our inquiry form
To go to other pages click on the links below. Click on the back arrow return to the previous page.
To return to the Headstones home page click on headstones home.